Saturday, November 7, 2009

IIT and the "Brilliant" schools

“Kya kar rahe ho aaj kal”……

“Ji mai IIT se MBA kar raha hun”….

“Acha IIT me MBA hota hai”….

After about 2.5 million such conversations I thought its high time I post my frustrations on a blog. It has become highly imperative for me to tell people about why MBA in IIT is not only important but necessary for India.

If you are a student from any A,B,C business school then you would be jealous to know that IIT MBA programs follow a semester system each one including 7-8 subjects. Looks cool aint it. Less pressure and stuff like that. I know looked cool to me too until I joined IIT Delhi for my MBA degree.

You know in terms of number of subjects covered in two years I agree we are not that brilliant as many of the “Brilliant” B-schools of India. But sometimes I wonder that why are there three different papers in Finance in those “Brilliant” schools when we cover all the three in a single semester in one subject. I haven’t yet got any satisfying answer.

I sometimes again wonder why is it that we are supposed to slog ourselves for three – four months in preparing some original knowledge for the Management as a practice as a whole in form of Term Papers in each subject. HAHAHAHA….. This time I do have an answer to this.

It is this thrust on developing some original knowledge in Management systems here that can open your minds to perspectives you could have only achieved 6 years down the line slogging yourself for those complete 6 years in an industry just like you would in any of the “Brilliant” B-schools.

Another aspect of IIT s which I personally appreciate and I am not sure how many old men like me will agree (I am 24 years but in IIT with 18-19 years b tech students in hostel I do feel old sometimes J ) is the energy which these young undergraduate students from b-tech stream fill in each individual in Hostel.

I can not think of a b-school where I would have woken up at 5:00 AM in the morning going for a football practice for my hostel team and then realizing the second oldest person in the team is 3 years younger to me. Though if you are as optimistic as me you would still go and compete against them and this kept my whole day energized thinking of how to beat these young turks. And all this, after you have slept at 3:30 AM finishing your marketing assignment (After all this is a b-school guys).

These young guys infuse in you an energy which you would surely find missing in any of the “Brilliant” b-schools where at 24 too you feel like a 17 year old just because every one else is so much experienced (I am calling them old you fools).

Now let me come to the disadvantages of IIT MBA. One being that at current IIT Delhi 09-11 batch there are only 53 students. Though this assures you of some surety with respect to the placements as IITs can any day bring companies for 53 students BUT guys L You ll not be able to socialize with 300-400 people that you do in the most “ Brilliant” b-schools (What percent of them the students get placed in a recession is again a gigantic topic of discussion and I am no lawyer of any particular institute).

Another disadvantage particular to Delhi is that IIT Delhi being situated in heart of the city provides a lot of distraction to even the most saintly fellows like me. South Delhi is not an easy place to study, believe you me. Though from other perspectives it is a truly truly awesome place to be in. I am away from all the bad habits like drinking in sexy pubs and roaming around the most glamorous of markets so I don’t enjoy this much you know.

Well, I think I tried to explain how lonely it is in IIT with my football team, my classmates, my foreign exchange student friends, my local friends and my hostel friends especially if you are enrolling for an MBA.

Also if you are a spiritual person unlike me then there is one more reason for you to hate IIT ‘s MBA program, it brings a materialistic attitude in all the students (MBA fee currently for two years will hardly touch Rs 2 lacs ) in a view that they all start feeling happy with the Return on their Investment (even 2 lac for 2 years is an investment). This may not be the situation in other “Brilliant” b-schools so again they beat IIT MBA programs with 10-12 lakhs in fees.

Urggggggghhhhhhh I am damn disappointed.

I think to cool down my temper I ll be going for a lawn tennis session its just 11:30 PM right now. Will update you guys on any other difficulty I am facing in IITs.

P.S. : I still have no idea how many of the “Brilliant” b-schools have Tennis courts.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Write up !!
    Just to add on , How many "Brilliant B schools" have such Green campus that Peacock feels much more Homely here and Hoe many B schools have the space to have even 400 m race, leave alone "Independence freedom run" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cudn't agree with you more on the coolness quotient of our college which reminds us of our good old engg days...you can afford to have an entire world of your own outside the institute...not a single day passes without downloading your favorite movie from the prized hostel Lan...you get to do things which you missed in your professional days like bakar with friends till 4am,then going out for snacks...n of course needless to say living in south delhi has its own perks...enough reason to cheer guys unlike the poor souls(@"brilliant B-Schools") who are slogging 24X7 for the same outcome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.. all said very clearly and superbly..
    I couldn't disagree with any of the aspects told above.. but would like to add a dimension.. that being a part of DMS-IIT Delhi, it is such a high privilege that industry big shots feel honoured to be called here for delivering lectures, DMSians are like apple of the eye of media houses. But DMS has a culture of not flaunting and exaggerating its superiority like other "Brilliant" Schools rather to produce professionals who not only manage but also lead 'change', to produce managers who can sustain in long run keeping their foundation education very much durable with the best pedagogy taught by the best professors across the globe. We get to enjoy advantages of interacting with the best minds of the country in every known arena. We get ourselves involved in a very wide spectrum of activities ranging from a social cause to international competitions. I wonder what else can any educational institution give to a student than serving all these fruitcakes in a platter. This is an MBA life @ IIT Delhi and I feel privileged for being an integral part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is how it goes: (take your time)

    Last time, almost a year ago, I counted there were five MBA institutes boasting of proper lawn tennis court (was doing due diligence)!! But then, how many B-schools get government grants of crores of rupees and, acres and acres of land free of cost in the centre of the costliest cities of India to set up their campus which can boast of lavish lawn tennis courts or football grounds, when arranging for proper residential facilities for students is becoming challenging in an expanding concern for independent institutes!! The benevolence of government is far and few!!

    Why go on explaining that IIT has an MBA program? The people who shall know, they know about it. The people who do not know this, perhaps, their ignorance does not matter much. But yes, a nodding head of affirmation is always a pleasant sight!!

    This trimester/semester/yearly thing has been a bit of bête noire for me also. But I believe that we shall trust the people who are running the "not-so-Brilliant" B-Schools as well as those of "Brilliant" B-Schools. They are knowledgeable people with loads of experience behind them. So, whether a semester or trimester or yearly system, what matters is whether you have got the best out of the investment (both time and money) or not, whatever the environment be. “When you bring some talented people under one roof and provide them with a conducive environment, magic can happen”, I have seen it, been part of it and firmly hold the flag of this idea high. Perhaps, in a trimester system, the course plan can afford to be both extensive and intensive at the same time with bearable inhuman distribution of work load!! May be my view is biased, but the semester system of my graduation years was not much of an exciter and I have a feeling that the one in “not-so-Brilliant” B-school will definitely better it.

    It has been always a bit of wonder for me how people manage to beat Sun in its own game whatever the reason/driving force be!! I mean, why race with the god himself, let him rise and settle down, and then go ahead with your plans of non-academic paraphernalia! Whatever be the means or choice of times or company, the ends matter. And, if you are walking away with the overall champions of cultural fest of a B-school (the one in Bangalore – not sure if it is a “Brilliant” or “not-so-Brilliant”, the readers shall interpret of their own accord) then it does not really make you a star. Does it? And, if we add to that two months old students from a “Brilliant” B-School winning some B-Plan contest in the same B-School (the one in Bangalore) then, perhaps, we might get some respect; and who cares about what a “not-so-Brilliant” B-School thinks, there is too big a ego to satisfy and too less a time to devote! “Brilliant” B-schools are happy (infact too busy) slogging it out with grey hair companion on academic matters and sometimes on a table tennis board; the brilliant yet poor ones do not have football or lawn tennis grounds. May be someday they might boast of the same, but what purpose will it serve other than satisfying our haughtiness in a “Brilliant” B-School?

    But then, what fun is a B-School, be it “Brilliant” or ‘not-so-Brilliant” without a little bit of ego!!

    Gracias!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, debate hots up. What I feel, which ofcourse nobody really cares, would be put up shortly. :). But I must say for now that when the writer started his blog, he promised to answer this query "Why MBA in IIT is not only important but necessary in India".I did not find any satisfying answer to that, or may be my reading comprehension is poor,which as a matter of fact my mock socres affirm. Or may be a new blog is on the way.
    Can't Wait.

    ReplyDelete